Tuesday 12 June 2012

Book Reviews: Angel and Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly


I came across these books in the library a few days ago. I'd never heard of them before. I looked at their Goodreads ratings and reviews when I got home and found that they were fairly positive. I dislike the covers and find the titles unoriginal, but the actual books are good. As they say, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover! They're similar to The Hunger Games and Divergent series' - The world is different from our own (well, one aspect is), the main characters are adolescents and there is a mix of action and romance in them.

What are they about? There are angels in our world that have come from their own in order to survive. To survive, they need energy, so they feed off of human auras. This leaves the humans feeling incredibly happy and believing in angels, but they also become sick. They could acquire depression, schizophrenia, cancer etc. As you can probably guess, these angels are not your stereotypical 'good' ones. There are a number of people who kill these angels to protect humans and they are called Angel Killers (AKs). One Angel Killer, called Alex, crosses paths with a girl named Willow. She is a half-angel. He has never come across a half-angel before because they are not supposed to exist. It is thought to be impossible for humans and angels to breed. The first book follows Alex's and Willow's relationship while they also try to destroy the angels. The second book has the same basic storyline, but new characters and world-saving missions are brought in.

My thoughts: I enjoyed them! On my Goodreads profile, I gave the first book 4 stars out of 5 and the second book 5 stars out of 5. I really enjoy the mix of action and romance in books. The action keeps me entertained and the romance connects me to the characters, wanting to read on. I enjoyed the second one a little more because there are more characters and action in it. In my opinion, they're not as good as The Hunger Games and Divergent series', but they're pretty close. They do contain more romance than action in, especially the first book, so keep that in mind. Also, the second book is 700+ pages, which some people may not like. Some people prefer shorter books.


The third book is going to be released on the 1st October 2012 - Not long to go! I will definitely be reading it.


The other books I checked out of the library are:
Reckless by Cornelia Funke
Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and
The Sacred Vault by Andy McDermott (I've enjoyed a couple of the other books in the series)

I've also just bought:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett and
Evermore by Alyson Noel (I've only bought the first book in the The Immortals series to see if I like it. If I do, I will be purchasing the rest!)

I also want to read the Maze Runner and Inkheart series'.



Have you read any of these books?

2 comments:

  1. I think dystopian was the word you were looking for. "the world is different to our own" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do love both hunger games and divergent! so will probs check these out soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric