Wednesday 24 July 2013

Rainbow Cupcakes!


I attempted rainbow cupcakes last night! I just couldn't wait to try out my new Wilton Food Colouring Gels/Pastes.

Here's the recipe for the basic mixture, which makes about 12 (To make 12 muffin sized cupcakes, change the 115g ingredients to 200g):
  • 115g of softened butter
  • 115g of caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 tsp of vanilla paste (1 tsp of vanilla extract will work, too)
  • 115g of self raising flour

1. Preheat your oven to 180C and line your bun tray with baking cases.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla paste/extract.
4. Sift in the flour and fold.
5. Spoon the mixture into your cases and bake for around 20 minutes.

For the colouring, I separated the mixture into 7 bowls, added a food colouring to each one, and then layered each colour into the cases. A small teaspoon of mixture was enough for each layer. This part did take a while, but I had nothing better to do!

I'm quite happy with the results, I must say! I'm going to try ombre ones in a few days, with some going from blue to green, and some going from pink to orange. The teals and corals in the middle of these ombres will be so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric