I attempted rainbow cupcakes last night! I just couldn't wait to try out my new Wilton Food Colouring Gels/Pastes.
Here's the recipe for the basic mixture, which makes about 12 (To make 12 muffin sized cupcakes, change the 115g ingredients to 200g):
- 115g of softened butter
- 115g of caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla paste (1 tsp of vanilla extract will work, too)
- 115g of self raising flour
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and line your bun tray with baking cases.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla paste/extract.
4. Sift in the flour and fold.
5. Spoon the mixture into your cases and bake for around 20 minutes.
For the colouring, I separated the mixture into 7 bowls, added a food colouring to each one, and then layered each colour into the cases. A small teaspoon of mixture was enough for each layer. This part did take a while, but I had nothing better to do!
I'm quite happy with the results, I must say! I'm going to try ombre ones in a few days, with some going from blue to green, and some going from pink to orange. The teals and corals in the middle of these ombres will be so pretty!